Candida Albicans is a form of yeast found in the human body, normally confined to the large intestine (colon). When the 3 following conditions are met, candida Albicans remains harmless: 1) a stable population of “friendly, beneficial” intestinal flora (probiotics); 2) the immune system is strong and intact; 3) intestinal pH (acid-base balance) is maintained in normal balance.
There are an estimated 1,000,000 species of fungi, mold, and yeast. About 50 of these are considered pathogenic (causing disease) to humans. Most are opportunistic, increasing in numbers during periods of stress, or lowered immune response.
How do you get candida overgrowth?
The good news is that the healthy bacteria in your gut typically keep your candida levels in check. However, a few factors can cause the candida population to grow out of control:
- Eating a diet high in refined carbohydrates and sugar
- Consuming a lot of alcohol
- Taking oral contraceptives
- Living a high-stress lifestyle
- Taking a round of antibiotics that killed too many of the friendly bacteria
- The use of steroids depletes the beneficial protective flora, and weakens the immune response.
Research shows that up to 30% of the population suffers from candida and related yeast/fungal conditions. More women than men are affected.
The most common symptoms of Candida/fungal overgrowth are:
- severe fatigue
- problems with concentration and short-term memory
- flu-like symptoms such as pain in the joints and muscle
- Low grade fever
- extreme tightness in the shoulders and neck
- hyper-acidity/acid reflux
- brown colored mucus in the back of the throat
- blisters in the mouth/tongue/throat
- either white or “blood blisters”
- un-refreshing sleep
- sore throat
- white coated tongue
- dark circles under the eyes
- an aversion to being touched or jumping
- “crawling” skin
- chronic sinus problems and headaches including migraines
- chronic dental problems
- vaginal discharge
- chills, night sweats
- Anxiety and depression
- Painful gas and abdominal bloating
- Rashes, dry flakey ski, or eczema
- Jock itch, rectal itch
- Toenail or fingernail fungus
- Allergies and sensitivities
- Weight change without changing diet
This long list of symptoms greatly overlaps with many other health conditions and you should not self-diagnose.
Extensive research shows that a successful program for controlling candida and fungal over growth must achieve 3 goals. First, the candida and fungal population of the body must be gradually, yet significantly reduced. Second, the immune system must be strengthened, and activated to further deplete candida or fungal overgrowth. The first and second goals are achieved through our Candida program. Third, the health of the intestinal tract must be rebuilt. This is achieved through a probiotic-reseeding program.
- Candida Questionnaire found un our on-line forms section
- Spit test. We know this is NOT an accurate scientific test BUT it IS a real INDICATION of the density of your fluids which can harbor micro organisms.
You heard it right – – this is a spit test.The best time to do this test is the first thing in the morning as soon as you wake up. Before you rinse, spit, or put anything in your mouth, go get a glass of water (in a clear glass). Now build up a bunch of saliva (just mouth saliva, do not cough up anything) and spit it into the glass of water. Observe what happens. The saliva will float. That is OK and normal. If within 15 minutes you see thin projections extending downward into the water, it is a positive sign for candida. The projections may look like hair, or small strings, like a jelly fish or spider legs, moving down into the water from the saliva floating on the top. Other positive indications might be very “cloudy” saliva that will sink to the bottom of the glass within a few minutes or particles that slowly sink or suspend below the saliva glob. What you are seeing are colonies of yeast which band together to form the strings.
Contact a healthcare professional who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of Candida. We can help. Call Hygiea Health today at 818-788-8242